Who can participate in the Capacity Auction (Demand Response) Program?
Continue reading to learn about the eligibility requirements for the IESO's Capacity Auction.
Currently, there are 4 classes of assets that are deemed eligible to participate in the Capacity Auction:
- Capacity Auction (DR) resources
- The Capacity Auction resources are loads that can curtail their demand from the grid when needed and include physical hourly demand response (HDR), virtual HDR and dispatchable loads.
- Non-contracted generation resources
- Generation resources are pretty self-explanatory and include assets like natural gas generators and small wind turbines that are not currently under contract.
- System-backed capacity import resources
- System-backed capacity import resources are broader and include capacity received from neighboring jurisdictions like Quebec or Michigan.
- Storage resources.
- Storage resources are a particularly interesting asset class and include battery systems and compressed air facilities just to name a few.